Bronx workplace discrimination attorney Delmas A. Costin, Jr. discusses employment law
Have you suffered workplace discrimination? If so, you can seek a solution to this problem by taking certain actions. Before you can do that, you must know what employment discrimination is and your rights as an employee. Bronx workplace discrimination attorney Delmas A. Costin, Jr. will provide you with a broad overview of what you should to know.
What is workplace discrimination?
Workplace discrimination, or employment discrimination, takes place when employers use illegal or unfair employment actions on the basis of the employee’s or potential employee’s race, national origin, religion, sex, age and/or physical disability. Various federal and state laws prohibit this discriminatory behavior by employers. Additionally, an increasing number of state laws prohibit employment discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.
Types of employment discrimination
Workplace discrimination by employers may take various forms. For instance, excluding, singling out or bias against particular employees in:
- Classification of employees;
- Hiring and firing;
- Fringe benefits;
- Job advertisements;
- Use of company facilities;
- Disability leave
- Retirement plans; and
- Other terms and conditions are all forms of employment discrimination.
Furthermore, workplace discrimination includes:
- Making employment decisions based on racial, gender-related, religious, ethnic, or disability-related stereotypes or assumptions;
- Harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, or genetic information;
- Denying or holding back employment opportunities because of someone’s association with an individual of a certain race, religion, nationality, or disability status; and
- Retaliation against an employee for filing a discrimination charge against the employer, participating in an investigation of discrimination, or otherwise challenging discriminatory work practices or conditions.
What issues are involved in a workplace discrimination claim?
For each workplace discrimination claim, you, or your Bronx workplace discrimination attorney Delmas A. Costin, Jr. must establish two separate issues:
- Whether your employer discriminated against you in violation of an applicable federal or state law; and
- What types of relief you should receive as compensation for your employer’s violation of your employment rights, including preliminary injunctions, reinstatement, back pay, promotion, front pay, and attorney’s fees.
Do you believe that you have suffered workplace discrimination? If so, you need the skills and talent of an experienced Bronx workplace discrimination attorney like Delmas A. Costin, Jr. If you are dealing with workplace discrimination, please call Bronx workplace discrimination attorney Delmas A. Costin, Jr. at (718) 618-0589.
The Law Office of Delmas A. Costin, Jr.
930 Grand Concourse Suite 1F,
Bronx, NY 10451
(718) 618-0589 (Office)
(347) 510-0099 (Fax)